Lockdown Diary - Thursday 20th May 2021

Carer got here early again, so I was out and walking by 7:30 a.m. again. Missed the rain, which is always good.

Started work then had a brief break to go out and post a card / letter to a friend - a brief let-up in the joys of work.

Back to work for a day of calls and document review/updating. I reckon this will be a quiet one on the blog front.

Usual interruptions to my day but mostly time spent staring at a screen and/or typing.

Work ended in time for me to join the Idler drinks at 6 p.m. Tonight's guest is Stephanie Phillips who is a member of black female punk band, Big Joanie and is also writes in music mags and has just published a book on musician Solange (Knowles, younger sister of someone called Beyoncé, that you may have heard of?) titled 'Why Solange Matters'.  Before the Zoom call I listened both to Big Joanie and also to Solange's 2016 album 'A Seat At The Table'. 

Yet again an excellent chat with an interesting guest along with some excellent music. I didn't succeed in my ambition to ask a question (through my own fault) but did participate in the after call chat with 30 or so fellow Idlers.  I was brought into the conversation owing to my camera backdrop (wall to wall CDs) and then became part of the gang. Hopefully the same next week. It was fun.

After that, dinner with the five of us (son #1's gf is still here) and the final episode of 'Top Boy: Summerhouse', which certainly went out with a bang.  Next up 'Top Boy', I guess.

Big Joanie / 'Fall Asleep' / 'Sistahs'

[I try and make a point of never selecting a song by someone mentioned above, unless there's a special reason to do so.  Like all 'rules' it should be broken just for the sake of it, hence this. It was a toss-up between Solange or Big Joanie, or, covering both bases, Big Joanie's cover of Solange's song 'Cranes In The Sky', but I just thought 'nah, let's go for this one instead]



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020