Tales From The Crypt - Friday 13th August 2021

From the poison comes a flower
Butterfly for just an hour
But it burns ecstatic fire
The kind of life we all desire
Desire! Fire!

Remember, remember, the 13th August, especially when it falls on a Friday. Or something like that...

(For reasons I can't explain I find myself drawn to the songs of Kevin Ayers at the moment)

A different Friday...

For starters, I'm on leave (again).  The day starts in the usual way, but then deviates from the mundane.  I'm helping with a local charity again, making up lunches for local children in the school holidays and then delivering them.

First off I need to go and pick up D, who's also helping, then to the hall to begin.  I'm on cake duty to start with, again: taking freshly-made cakes and packing individual slices ready to distribute. It's been decreed that my hair is getting long now, so I have to wear a hair net and very fetching it is! (Not!) I wrap 84 slices and then move on to assigning food to lunch packs.  During this process, our local MP arrives for a video and photo opportunity, cup of tea and chat.  We all have our photo taken with him and I hastily remove my hair net before the shot is taken - destroy all evidence.  More packing and assembling of the deliveries before it's time to move out and deliver.

After that D and I pack my car with the deliveries for the round we're doing, roughly in an order that works best for the sequence we'll deliver in. Off we go!  We start much earlier than the previous time we helped out and finish in plenty of time for a well-earned lunch together - the first time in about 15 - 18 months?  An enjoyable lunch before going back to reality, almost.

It being my day off, I've arranged a call with a mate in Berlin and, after the carers visit, we start putting the world to rights.  Almost two hours later we run out of steam, having both agreed during a discussion of the merits of live albums that we'd re-visit Thin Lizzy's 'Live and Dangerous', with the assistance of some suitable 'fuel'.

The final carer visit over, I get the hi-fi cranked up and start listen to 'Lizzy.  A few tracks into the 'set' I'm taken by an urge to listen to some Kevin Ayers, whose songs are much on my mind.

Kevin Ayers makes way for dinner, and son #3 and I start making 'Fajita-style pasta', which may sound odd but was actually good to eat.

Son #1 is going out tonight, so we watch some stand-up comedy recorded off the TV, featuring Sara Pascoe, who I love (not literally, of course)

Mndsgn / 'Hope You're Doin' Better' / 'Rare Pleasure'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020