Tales From The Crypt - Tuesday 10th August 2021

You're safe and you're warm
Got a break from the storm
And it's visiting time in the past
And you've just reached the part
Where you're losing your heart
And your spirit is leaving you fast

Work again today, so not a lot to say...during the day.

While sorting through things as part of the Great Reorganisation of 2021 (as it is now termed), son #2 found a couple of letters amongst my wife's papers.  She'd written a letter to each of the twins 20 years ago, when they were four.  The letters were both written 8 years before her MS diagnosis and suggest she expected to die young.  I can't for the life of me understand why she felt this was likely at that point, unless she had some premonition or feeling she was unwell.  She never told me about the letters nor did she ever suggest to me that she would die young, in fact she always used to worry I'd die first (being male and older, I guess) and was disturbed by the idea.  I always used to tell her I'd be around until she died, never once suspecting what turn of events might be around the corner.  I'm now wondering why she thought she'd die young, especially before she'd had the MS diagnosis (which in itself need not be a death sentence necessarily?)

Son #1 showed me his letter, though I only read the opening sentence, just before my counselling session, which added to the depths we plumbed. An hour is not very long. We get to the bottom and then it's over.

After the counselling session I read both son #1 and son #2's letters (they invited me to do so and the letters are written in such a way that she expected that either the boys would read them or I'd read them to the boys, so she really expected to go quite soon?) and then chatted with son #1 about his. We all need to sit down together and talk about the letters, to explore the whole subject and wider ramifications)

We all ate dinner together whilst watching the final 'Inside No. 9' of series 5, after which son #1 and I watched a some live TV, or half-watched it, before getting ready for bed.

Orchestre Tout Puissant Marcel Duchamp / 'So Many Things (To Feel Guilty About)' / 'We're OK. But We're Lost Anyway'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020