Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 14th August 2021

It begins with a blessing but it ends with a curse
Making life easy but making it worse
"My mask is my master" the trumpeter weeps
But his voice is so weak as he speaks from his sleep
Saying "Why, why, why are we sleeping?"

Shopping, washing - all of life's pleasures bundled up into one day and not a lot more to say.  

I guess the most notable part of my day was a two-hour guided meditation session with Talking Therapies which took place against a hectic backdrop in the rest of the house: son #3 is heading off up to London to meet his gf, a day out and a comedy gig in the evening; and sons 1 and 2 are walking to the GP surgery for dose #2 of the Covid vaccine.  It's difficult to focus the mind when there's so much activity going on around you, but somewhere amidst all this I managed to find moments of calm and focus, fleetingly.

I read the papers, I hung washing out, I went for a brisk walk in the evening, listening to music as the sun continued to beat down upon me and surrounds. Evening sunshine is one of life's pleasures and I should make more of an effort to be out in it when it casually lays down its golden blanket.

Once the washing was in and the final carer call of the day was over, I returned to music and listened to the Arlo Parks album, which has some really powerful lyrics - a really good album indeed, and then listened to some Siouxsie and The Banshees - a change of pace and mood but a reminder of the singular path they trod, never being in sync with the prevailing fashions but always exploring where they wanted to go.  I the pantheon of popular music they were both ground breakers and seriously undervalued. 

Son #2 started making dinner as the Banshees were unleashing 'Tattoo', a relatively rare single 'B'-side, and slowly those present gathered for dinner and a film.  Son #1 chose 'Donnie Brasco' as tonight's film which was released the year the twins were born and stars Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Michael Madsen and others.  It's loosely based on a real FBI undercover operation against the Mafia, and Johnny Depp plays the undercover cop who gets in too deep, and man does he look young in the film - I didn't recognise him at first.  I enjoyed the film, though it is pretty brutal in places. There's good acting and some great dialogue - well worth watching.

Of course, this can only end one way, and it does. Goodnight. 

Arlo Parks / 'Black Dog' / 'Collapsed In Rainbows'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020