Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 31st July 2021

Where has July gone? Why do the summer months go by much quicker than the winter months, or seem to at the very least? The last day of July and it felt like it only started yesterday.

In stark contrast to last Saturday, today looks like being a Saturday like any other, give or take.

Went shopping with son #1 and picked up a bottle of mezcal, which I've been wanting to try for some time. Hunter S Thompson was a big fan of it and so I'm hoping if I drink enough of it, in time I'll be able to write as well as he could. Failing that, if I drink enough of it, I may at least believe I can write as well him.

Ate breakfast with son #1 and chatted - it's the only time we ever really stop and talk in the hustle and bustle of our separate, but overlapping, lives.

I found time to read the papers after lunch and then try and finish reading this month's book club book, 'The Mermaid of Black Conch'.

One of our Thai carers (in fact the one whose house blessing / housewarming I went to last Saturday) bought round some sushi she'd made for her daughter's picnic and there was enough for all four of us. I'd not long had my lunch, so I decided to have them as an early evening appetizer before dinner.

Feeling a bit peckish after reading 'The Mermaid...' I decided to try the sushi. Wow! That was good - better than the stuff you buy ready made in supermarkets and I manage to resist the temptation to eat the boys portions as well.

The evening carers arrived and I thanked them for the sushi and told them how much I enjoyed it.  We chatted as usual and, after they'd left, I broke out the mezcal and set up to listen to some music.  I finished listening to the new Bicep album and started listening to 'Carnage' by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis before it was time to start dinner.

For a change, all four of us are here tonight so a fully quorate film club met over dinner.  It's son #3's choice and he's chosen a horror film called 'Fear Street Part 1: 1994', probably not one I'd've chosen, but there it is - these are the rules.

Allegedly the film series (there are three of them) 'subverts the typical slasher formula' and tries to be both tongue cheek at times as well as having a mysterious back story that it plans to build on, no doubt in the subsequent films.  It was OK, to be fair, though initially I thought it was going to be rubbish.  Gradually as the plot built it did become more interesting, so I guess I'd give it a 5 or 6 out of 10, but if I'd been watching it on my own (which has a very low probability, tbh), I might have been tempted to give up in the first 20 to 30 minutes.

During the evening a friend was messaging me and it appears I should be going out for a walk tomorrow lunch time, so I probably ought to get to bed and sleep at a sensible time.

Bo Ningen / 'Inu' / 'III'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020