Tales From The Crypt - Sunday 29th August 2021

Most of the usual Sunday things are planned for the day, so they're not worth mentioning. Whatever happens, it's primarily going to be a relaxing day, give or take the odd disturbance.

I had a video call with a friend in the morning, which was interesting if nothing else. 

Over lunch I finished watching the first of a two-part music documentary called 'Laurel Canyon', which was the centre of the music scene in late 1960s, early 1970s Los Angeles.  Amongst those that were drawn to the area were Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell, The Monkees, Stephen Stills, David Crosby, Alice Cooper, Graham Nash and more. It was interesting to see how chance meetings led to so many musical collaborations, not to mention couplings and falling outs.

Music is never far away and inevitably, given the weekend, I found myself listening to the BBC's live broadcasts from the Reading Festival. Highlight of the weekend was undoubtedly this evening's performance by Wolf Alice, though there are a few other things I'll be catching up on as time permits.

I am very restless at the moment, though to be fair it's a pretty common state of mind for me these days and has been for five or more years now. I don't think I'll be able to settle until I find some new state of contentment, though I think that's a way off.  Tonight I couldn't settle to to read or to listen to music, apart from Wolf Alice, and so I was glad when it was time to make dinner.

All three sons are off out tonight, after dinner, meeting up with shared friends in town.  It's good that all of them get on well enough that they can do that, despite the age difference.  The bond between them will be very important in the future.  Since we didn't really sit and eat together (son #1 was showering whilst three of us ate together) we found ourselves watching 'Mortimer & Whitehouse Gone Fishing', an oddly compelling watch, given my lack of interest in fishing, a pastime I find even more boring than watching paint dry, but each to their own, I guess.

John Martyn / 'One Day Without You' / 'Sunday's Child'



[[Three songs across the past 24 hours have evoked memories of our past life and how I feel about my wife, and this is one of them. There are two others, you might get over the next few days, though both are...well, you'll have to wait and see if it comes to pass...]]

[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020