Tales From The Crypt - Monday 16th August 2021

Once upon a time there was, so there is still
Loving of a kind that rhymed here until
Doors began to close, and love was left screaming
When life was diagnosed by the doctors of dreaming

A typical Monday with walking and yoga, followed by a period of time chasing plumbers to get quotes to repair/upgrade our en-suite and also re-do our main bathroom.  As is customary, it seems, I only get through to voicemails.  Will they call me back?  Do pigs fly? We shall see...

As a reward for the tedious process of tracking down and calling potentially good plumbers I decide it's about time I booked my first flying lesson. Walk to the edge, sir. Fall forwards and flap your arms vigorously. Nope not that sort. Powered flight. With an engine. Propeller. And wings, etc.

I call operations at the flying club and the phone is answered by a friendly female voice, who wants to take down my particulars. I reply, 'That's very kind, but I'm here to book a flying lesson!' That hurdle successfully negotiated, I am due to have my first lesson a week today. The first one hour lesson takes a total of two hours - apparently there's a 30-minute briefing before and a 30-minute debriefing after. My mind wanders back to the start of the conversation but I resist the temptation to speak out of turn, though it does sound like a nice way to celebrate my first lesson.

I'm reminded of a few memories during the day, some of which can't go unmarked.

Today would also have been the 77th birthday of Kevin Ayers, whose lyrics have been much on my mind of late. He was a singular talent a man with an ear for a tune and an eye (ear?) for words, but seemingly every time his career was about to take off, he'd disappear somewhere where it was sunnier and the food and drink were great delights.  A true hedonist.

We eat together before son #2 departs for screen time with his gf, and the rest of us watch some stand-up comedy and then son #1 and I watch the end of the BBC4 documentary on hippies.

Time to climb the stairs to Bedfordshire...

Birthday Ass / 'Blah' / 'Head of the Household'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020