Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 12th November 2022

It's E's birthday today, and perhaps a stranger one than the many strange ones she's had over the last six or seven years (who's counting?)  It will be a multi-part celebration, starting with me and then involving our sons when they arrive / get up. In a way it's better for E like this.  It's really hard to get things for her now, and so apart from the presents I got her a large card which I wrote a few words in.  As I showed her the card and read what I'd written to her, she gave me the loveliest smile I've seen in a long time.  A view of the E that I married emerging from the fog of MS.

Amidst the birthday celebrations, I did the usual Saturday chores, too boring and too well-known to mention.

What's that phrase, "busy doing nothing"? I think it comes from a dimly remembered song from my childhood.  It describes quite well the passage of hours which seemed very busy (I didn't find time to read the papers), despite the fact I couldn't tell you how they were spent.

At some point in the afternoon I watched an excellent Newsnight interview with Nick Cave, talking about grief and faith after the death of his son Arthur. It is an honest, painful and funny interview.

Following the news of the death of Nik Turner yesterday, I read that Keith Levene, guitar player for Public Image Limited, had died. It is that season.  The loss to music is great, but even greater is the loss to family and friends. Those left behind.

In the evening I sat with son #2 and watched TV while I ate my dinner. Son #3 has returned to his flat and son #1 is on his way up to London to stay with his gf ahead of going to see Blossoms in Aylesbury tomorrow evening. 

The day ended in the usual way. 

Orbital & Sleaford Mods / 'Dirty Rat' / 'Optical Delusion' (forthcoming)


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020