Tales From The Crypt - Saturday 10th July 2021

I was speaking to a friend at work who is debating reducing to a 4 day week, like me.  He is torn between taking the Friday or the Monday as his non-working day and I explained the reasoning for my choice.  There are some practical reasons why it's better not to work Mondays, but part of it is intangible, but this morning I can feel exactly why I favour Monday over Friday.  This morning, despite not working yesterday, I don't feel any different, however I know without a doubt that when Sunday evening comes around - actually scrub that - when Sunday begins, the day feels so much better because I know it's not the end of my weekend. It may be all in the mind, but boy does it it feel so much better.

Putting the psychology of weekends behind me and returning to the day in hand, today looks like being a normal Saturday with few deviations from it, apart from a spell as a taxi service in order to take son #3 to his uni flat, which he'll be staying in for several days with his gf.

I managed to read the days papers in the afternoon, a task made simpler by the non-delivery of 'The Times' to the supermarket today, leaving me with just 'The Guardian' to read.

I also read a bit more of the book club book which I need to finish by Monday evening, though I couldn't really get into it as I kept getting interrupted.

After the final carer call of the day son #1 and I went for a walk which made sure I exceeded my walking exercise target for the week.  It kept threatening to rain with a few spots falling here and there, but ultimately we stayed dry. The conversation we were having during the walk continued inside until it was time for me to start the dinner, before the three of us watched a film.  

Tonight's film choice is a comedy zombie spoof called 'The Dead Don't Die' which stars Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Chloë Sevigny, Danny Glover, Tom Waits (yes! THAT Tom Waits) and Steve Buscemi with a host of other guest appearances, including Iggy Pop. It is a very silly film, but then it's meant to be, and is an enjoyable 100 minutes or so. Despite sending up the genre it does manage to create moments of tension, though as Officer Ronnie Peterson (Adam Driver) repeatedly says 'This is definitely going to end badly.'  The one thing that did really get on my nerves was the damn theme song, sung by Sturgill Simpson (who also has a minor part as a guitar-toting zombie), which keeps getting played.  Minor gripe aside, it was fun and funny.

Sleep and oblivion beckon. 

Dictaphone / 'Your Reign Is Over' / 'Goats and Distortions 5'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020