Tales From The Crypt - Thursday 15th July 2021

According to the weather forecast today is supposed to be sunny, but as I walked my early morning walk the cloud just seemed to be getting thicker. I don't think we'll see much of the sun today.

The lack of sun won't matter to me though as I'll be working all day anyway.

The tiredness I spoke of yesterday is still present, so I guess there's things I still need to do.  First step tonight.

Work dominates the day.

I finish work promptly in order to join tonight's Idler drinks, the last one of the season until they resume in September.  Tonight's guest speaker is Michael Pollan, American writer and journalist and, most significantly for this evening, author of the books 'How To Change Your Mind: The New Science of Psychedelics' and his latest, 'This Is Your Mind On Plants: Opium-Caffeine-Mescaline'.

As always an excellent session with some great anecdotes from Michael, I was especially interested in the story behind US President Nixon's original motivation for the war on drugs. Fascinating and disturbing at the same time. There was an unplanned abrupt ending to the meeting but a hardcore re-joined the Zoom meeting and carried on talking for an hour or so longer.   It was fun to get to know the Idler group a little more and several of us shared our email addresses to continue the conversation over the summer break and beyond.

The day came to an end in the usual way...see you tomorrow?

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds / 'Hiding All Away' / 'Abattoir Blues / The Lyre Of Orpheus'



[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020