Love, Poetry and Revolution - Wednesday 8th March 2023

Snow! When I went into the shower I noticed it looked very white outside the window, so I opened it and there it was.

According to my social media contract, if there's snow outside, it's obligatory to post photos, and so I did. Like everyone else. It's a way of showing one's individuality.

Late afternoon I heard the sad news that the last of my aunts has died. For various historical reasons I didn't know her as well as I should have, but she is still a presence in my memory of family parties in London and some more recent meetings. I now have only an uncle left on my mother's side of the family, but thankfully a host of cousins, not to mention two sisters.

Work is now over and after a quick chat with Q, it's time to get set up for 'Ulysses for All' and episode 7, 'Aeolus', with guest speaker the notable Joyce expert, Terence Killeen. Terence is perhaps best-known for 'Ulysses Unbound' which was republished last year to mark the centenary of the publication of 'Ulysses'.  It is a very reader friendly guide to the book and not as academic as many others (many of which are also excellent, if that's your thang).

It was a great talk and I enjoyed asking a question about the North Cork militia and references to Ohio.  We also had a fun breakout session, with our group discussing lines 1 to 60.  I do love this course. I may have to do it again next year.  I got a lot more out of reading 'Aeolus' than I ever have before.

Low Girl / 'Bored' / 'Uh-Oh' (EP)


[[]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Wednesday 8th July 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020