Love, Poetry and Revolution - Friday 6th January 2023

Today is the day of E's dad's funeral. I'll be speaking at the service on behalf of E, the boys and me, along with E's brother, who will deliver the eulogy.

Dressed up and ready to go. Q is accompanying me. She met E's dad and her brother and sister-in-law last year and has been welcomed to the event. I will probably need the support too.

We're back, via a quick stop at the shops to grab some cheese and bread.

How did it go? I have to confess that I find funerals very emotional and my emotions were especially heightened, despite telling myself I'd keep it together.  Funerals, especially of E's family members, are triggering for me.  Part of me is always at E's funeral, though it's not happened yet. E's brother put it succinctly at the wake, he said, 'you are almost grieving all the time', and I guess I am in the state much of the time.

The service was good and E's brother's eulogy captured the spirit of his dad well. I fluffed mine through waves of emotion but recovered myself. 
The wake was a tribute to a man who hated fuss, or being the centre of attention, and we all raised a glass to him. 

The wake was also an opportunity for me to continue to rebuild my relationship with what's left of E's family and her brother's new extended family. I'd like my sons to get to know them too, a process which started early in 2022. Q is a great ambassador in this and she has already built a rapport with E's sister-in-law.

We're all tired so we're aiming for an early night after some TV ('Young Offenders')

Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood / 'Some Velvet Morning' / 'Movin' With Nancy'


[[The string intro to this is really cool.  Not sure what possessed me to choose this, but it seemed the right thing for today]]

Comments

Popular Posts

Love, Poetry and Revolution - Monday 13th May 2024

Lockdown Diary - Friday 28th August 2020

Lockdown Diary - Thursday 11th March 2021

Lockdown Diary - Tuesday 29th September 2020

Lockdown Diary - Friday 18th December 2020